Rico Verhoeven is all class despite being on the wrong end of one of the worst stoppages boxing fans have seen in some time against heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk.
Verhoeven stunned the entire combat sports community with a hard-fought showing as a massive underdog in Saturday’s headliner in Cairo, Egypt. In the 11th round, two judges had the bout scored even, with one judge scoring it for Verhoeven, and the rest of the viewing audience seemingly having Verhoeven up multiple rounds on their at-home cards. Usyk hurt and dropped Verhoeven late in Round 11 — and after beating the standing-eight count, the referee allowed him to pause to put his mouthpiece back in.
When the action continued, Usyk started pouring it on until the bell sounded. As most were preparing to watch a 12th and final round, the referee had already, and controversially, stopped the fight while Verhoeven was on his feet on the ropes, giving Usyk the comeback victory.
In his first statement on social media, Verhoeven showed his respect to Usyk while asking to run it back with one of the rare fighters to hold undisputed world titles in multiple divisions.
Ultimately, Usyk and Verhoeven may have to run it back if they want a result, because shortly after the fight, the GLORY kickboxing champion told Boxing News he intends to appeal the result.
“Actually, to be completely honest, I just saw the end, because of all the comments I was reading, and they stopped the fight after the bell,” Verhoeven said. “So, the bell went, then they stopped the fight. So I think we might just go and appeal it, because this doesn’t make any sense. If the bell goes, and then stop the fight, why? Then it’s my time to rest. …
“I got the eight-count. It was a good eight-count. It was needed. But I felt like, because I heard the click. ‘We’ve got like 10 seconds, so let’s just keep on the move, hands up, and catch the shots.’ I feel like that was what I was doing, so for me, that’s why right away, when the referee came in, I wasn’t dazzled. I was looking at the referee like, ‘Why are you stopping it? We’re almost there.’ So, it didn’t make any sense to me. And now, looking back at it, even the bell went. So, that’s something he should be aware of.
“Of course, mistakes can be made, but looking back at it, the referee should admit his mistake, look back at it, and say, ‘It’s either a no contest or we go to the scorecards.’ And if we go to the scorecards, I was ahead.”
At the time of the stoppage, Verhoeven was ahead on one judge’s scorecard, with the other two having it a draw, not including the 11th-round knockdown that Usyk scored before the stoppage.
Still, despite the outcome, Verhoeven was, ultimately, pleased with his performance.
“We had an amazing game plan, and I think it works,” Verhoeven said. “So, I’m super proud, super happy with that. Of course, I’m going to look back at it, and there are going to be things, ‘I could have done this a little better, could have done that a little better,’ but he had both hands full, and he’s been the undisputed champion. I didn’t see any boxer do that to him until tonight. So, I’m super happy, super proud of myself. But also bittersweet about the stoppage.”
Read the full article here


